Report from FOSS4G Bonn

Oliver May-4
Hi all,

Dirk and I have been attending the FOSS4G conference in bonn [1]. Geomajas had a presentation about some of the things that have been a struggle when running the project, you can view the presentation online [2] in the video archive [3].

I am still capturing information and talking a lot, but already have some topics that I would like to discuss with the community.

Compared to the other web gis servers we still are quite unique in what we do with the Geomajas server. However, my fear is once more confirmed that the complexity of talking to our server from applications other than our own clients keeps it in the dark was.

The teams from openlayers and camptocamp have some really interesting stuff going on, and it is clear that the foss4g world is also starting to move towards angularJS. Something to definitely look at is the ngeo project which provides angular directives for openlayers3  [4].

We should stay away from widget frameworks, the geoext talks only confirms to me that tightly integrating with a widget library leaves you with things like "a different compilation for mobile" and thus no responsive design at all (sorry guys...). Also the hassle of keeping up-to-date with extjs and openlayers versions is a huge burden, and keeps you at least a half year behind on web development standards.

While talking with other people who do stuff in the web they agree with me that web applications are often outdated (in terms of design and responsiveness) within two years. This should also be adressed to potential users of Geomajas, a web gis project is (next to building it) a long term commitment that needs constant investment.

I had some really interesting talks with the guys from Oskari, we will continue to meet with the community and see if we can share parts of our frameworks (for example they have complex features support in WFS, we have a fancy printing plug-in).

Following up on all these things will require some time, looking for ways to fund this is also on my todo list.

cheers from foss4g!

Re: Report from FOSS4G Bonn

frankenmaes
Hey Oliver,

Thanks for the wrap-up.

It would be good to explore ways to integrate other frontend technologies and libraries with the Geomajas backend.
For those who are in favour of using GWT for the fronted, the following could be an interesting path to explore: https://gwtmaterialdesign.github.io/gwt-material-demo/#!about

Looking forward to keep this discussion going.
Kind regards

Frank

On 26-Aug-2016, at 15:59, Oliver May <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dosi Bingov
Hi,

 https://gwtmaterialdesign.github.io seems to be a nice one. They even have 'Phonegap' sample project so I will consider it when I am going to build my next mobile app. My first choice is still http://ionicframework.com/ but who knows.

Regards,

Dosi

On 08/30/2016 07:10 PM, Frank Maes wrote:
[...]

Dosi Bingov / Java developer
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="skype:dosi.dfc">skype:dosi.dfc/ [hidden email]

DFC Software Engineering Office: +32 9 236 61 96 / Fax: +32 9 236 54 12
Brugsesteenweg 587 9030 Mariakerke , Belgium
www.geomajas.org

Re: Report from FOSS4G Bonn

Oliver May-4
Looks promising!

[...]

Oliver May

Brugsesteenweg 587
9030 Gent
T: <a href="tel:%2B32%20%280%29484%2097%2077%2070" value="+32484977770" target="_blank">+32 (0)484 97 77 70

Dosi Bingov / Java developer
skype:dosi.dfc/ [hidden email]

DFC Software Engineering Office: +32 9 236 61 96 / Fax: <a href="tel:%2B32%209%20236%2054%2012" value="+3292365412" target="_blank">+32 9 236 54 12
Brugsesteenweg 587 9030 Mariakerke , Belgium
www.geomajas.org

Oliver May

Brugsesteenweg 587

9030 Gent